Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Irrelevant Service

This blog is written mostly tongue in cheek. Some points may be informative. Please provide your feedback.
If you suffer from self-irrelevancy, please seek professional advice.

Hello. The Star articles re poverty continue to give me a new perspective. Today's is regarding "squeegee people", those who come up to your car when you're parked asking for money in return for a clean windshield.
I confess I've never given any squeegee people money. I've just shook my head and told them not to bother. I've found them to be quite annoying in the past.
It goes back to how I was brought up. We never helped anyone financially. We put money in the church plate, and then a nominal amount. Having said that, I did make a donation of my own money to a cause associated with Jean Beliveau when I was about 10. My dad was so proud he matched my $2. For some reason that lesson didn't stick with me. I was more aware of the times we didn't donate, or even tip.
So now the Ontario Court of Appeals has said sqeegee people can't squeegee anymore because the Traffic and Safety Act overrules the Constitution. What I think they're saying in the article is
the act of begging is still okay, but doing it on the roads, even though you're providing a service, is not. This service is not only irrelevant, but it hurts your cause. And since you're not a visible minority, you're not being discriminated against.
I now feel very ashamed. Why I think the sqeegee people were annoying is beyond me. In fact, they're very clever to figure out how they can provide a service with minimal expense and do it quickly enough to not detain motorists.
The next time I see someone asking for money, I'm going to take them to the nearest restaurant and feed them.

Regards,
Irrelevant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home