Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Irrelevant Career II

This blog is written mostly tongue in cheek. Some points may be informative. Please provide your feedback.
If you suffer from self-irrelevancy, please seek professional advice.

Hello. So why was this former NHLer's career irrelevant in my humble opinion? Because it didn't prepare him for the future. He is now a member of our disposible society, the one that only cares what you've done lately, and ignores you once you're out of the spotlight.
While I didn't have the nerve to ask him (he was quite capable with his fists in his heyday), I know in one sense he was probably irked that only I recognized him. I certainly would be, after giving all I could for the fans. To go from the spotlight to just another face in the crowd has to be a huge adjustment. It must be extremely tough to do, especially when most players don't leave on their own terms.
Obviously it also didn't prepare him financially. He should've been homefree with the money he was getting. Now he probably doesn't even talk to the people who were 'helping' him before, because they no longer have any need for him.
Why does this ex-player stick with me so much? More tomorrow.

Regards,
Irrelevant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home