Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Irrelevant Career III

This blog is written mostly tongue in cheek. Some points may be informative. Please provide your feedback.
If you suffer from self-irrelevancy, please seek professional advice.

Hello. Why does this ex-NHLer's story haunt me? Because he has now become irrelevant? Not entirely.
This player was the first NHLer I'd talked to who was my age. I had met many others who were playing in the '50s and '60s. As a group you won't find nicer people. They were obviously bitter about being taken advantage of by ownership during that time, and rightfully so.
I thought this player would be different, especially since he was earning 6 digits in a then 5 digit world. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, even though he was one of the better ones.
But what really got me thinking was his experience was not unique. All people who are in careers are in the same irrelevant situation. We all are disposable. We are all replacable. Not just hockey players. Why? More tomorrow.

Regards,
Irrelevant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home